"Renting with Rex" can be ordered directly from the publisher at Lulu.com.
Feel free to call or text me at 510/415-6185 or email me at jackie@thesocialpet.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Typesetter Nightmares

April 2, 2009

Well, that typesetter that I originally used from Elance was the typesetter from hell. Her name was Sue Balcer from Just Your Type. I do not recommend her in any way.

I sent her back the proof with the changes and she said she was unable to make the changes. She said it would take her several hours of work to do the changes. She immediately called Elance and made a complaint and said she would cancel the job. That went on for an entire week. By Friday, she agreed to do the two hours of work included in the original bid plus two more hours of work I agreed to pay her. I had the list all ready to go to her with the changes I wanted her to make with those four hours. Sunday afternoon, she sent me an email saying she had a life threatening illness and could not do anymore work on my job or any other jobs. She said she would cancel the job and refund the money. That took another week and a half to finally get that with her threatening to sue me if I accept the money. All this time, no work is being done on the book.

I finally figured out that she did not want this book published and this was her way of stalling. I got this by her final email when she said "if you ever get this book published....." She must have had a problem with the topic. Who knows. She was a freak. Plus I was never able to leave her feedback because she cancelled the job. I think she knew this and has done this in the past and knew I could not leave feedback if she cancelled the job. I bet she did this regularly to avoid doing the work.

I got bids from a couple of more typesetters, but they ran $1500 to $2000 for the job, which I could not do.

Then I submitted the book to Borders and their self publishing division. I am working on getting the cover file submitted. The lines are off and not printing right. The cover designer is trying to get this done.

4 comments:

  1. You mentioned losing an editor, now a typesetter. Perhaps you are the one who has the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you think that, Sue? Have you ever written and published a book? Those who can't, give everybody else a bad time because they are jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody, meet my typesetter who made these original comments, and who backed out on me and threaten to sue me when I accepted her refund. Now you know what she is such a gem. Actually, Sue did me a favor because I found Lulu who is fabulous and providing a service much better than Sue ever provided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have law suits against you I can't see how you are still trashing your professionals. I hope they do sue you - your editor, your cover designer, and your typesetter and anyone else you bad mouth. You have to know potential readers see this and know what negative enegy you give off. My friend who is just 16, but she told me LuLu is not for professionals -- perhaps you have found your perfect match. -- penny

    ReplyDelete