"Renting with Rex" can be ordered directly from the publisher at Lulu.com.
Feel free to call or text me at 510/415-6185 or email me at jackie@thesocialpet.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

Monday, July 1, 2019

Being a Responsible Pet Parent


Being a Responsible Pet Parent
Copyright Doris Day Animal League, “Best Friends for Life: Humane Housing for Animals and People” 
Responsible pet guardianship demands a commitment to provide for the physical, behavioral, and psychological needs of a pet for its entire lifetime. The day a new pet comes home marks the beginning of a special friendship. Through the years, that pet will never outgrow the need for his or her guardian’s care and protection. 

The decision to acquire a pet requires careful consideration, especially for people living in multi-unit housing. Pets can become scapegoats for non-pet related disputes, so pet guardians must be model residents in every way so as not to jeopardize both individual animals and the privilege of caring for a pet. By ensuring that their neighbors, other animals and the environment are not negatively affected, pet guardians will help to build an even more rewarding relationship with their pets. 

I want to adopt a pet but want to be sure I know what I’m getting into. How can I know I am ready? A prospective pet guardian, but especially a resident of multi-family housing, needs to answer the following questions before bringing an animal into the house.

Do I have the time to care for a pet properly? 
It takes time to train, exercise and groom a pet. Small or medium-sized dogs can live happily in small apartments, but they must be walked at least twice daily.

Am I financially able to provide for my pet’s needs?
This includes food, supplies, a license and veterinary care.

Am I willing to obey the laws related to animal care and control? 
Become familiar with your housing unit’s regulations on pets and your community’s licensing and leash laws. 

Do I have my landlord’s or condo board’s consent to bring an animal into my home? 
Never attempt to sneak your pet into a “no pets” building. It can only lead to trouble for you and your pet.

Am I willing to have my cat or dog spayed or neutered? 
This essential part of responsible pet guardianship will produce a more sociable pet and ensure that he or she does not contribute to pet overpopulation. 

Have I examined my own motives for getting a pet? 
Do you want to give love and companionship as well as receive it? What are your needs and expectations? Is living with a pet the best way to meet those needs and expectations?

Do I have a support system to ensure that my pet will be taken care of even if I can no longer do so myself?
In the event of your illness or death, your pet will need consistent, loving care. 

Am I at home during the day, and if not, do I have a regular schedule? 
Do I travel frequently? If your schedule prevents you from providing consistent care for your pet, perhaps you should forego getting a pet at this time in your life. 

Can I make provisions for pet care if I must be away from home temporarily? 

A reliable alternate caretaker is essential in case you are delayed getting home, are called out of town unexpectedly, or become ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment